Friday 11 September 2015

#TheHolySpiritChallenge Entry 17 by Ayomide Akin Oteniya

I literally just stumbled across your tumblr and blog this evening and I think it's wonderful that you're doing the Holy Spirit challenge! I've enjoyed reading all the entries so far, so I thought I'd share mine as well. So here goes.....

The Holy Spirit speaking to me has definitely been one of the most rewarding benefits of my Christian walk so far. The most vivid memory I have of this was a couple of months ago when I was revising for my final year exams. I distinctly remember for my Intellectual Property Law exam, I had prayed and asked God for guidance on what topics to revise for the exam because it wasn't possible/advisable to revise all the topics that had been covered throughout the year. It's funny because the Bible says we should ask and we will receive, I asked God for guidance and indeed he answered me through the Holy Spirit by directing me to focus on a particular topic. At the time, I wasn't able to discern as clearly the difference between my voice and that of the Holy Spirit so in my confusion, I decided it would be wiser and less of a gamble to revise another topic in conjunction with the one I had been specifically told would come out. Ofcourse, when I got to the exam, the topic came out and the exact case and area I had focused some of my revision on. If I had taken that leap of faith and focused more on the topic, I definitely would have done a lot better in the exam. But I thank God for my success through him nonetheless. 
Since then, I have focused on spending more time with God through reading my Bible and having quiet time where I sit with my Heavenly Father and listen. Because the truth is that he speaks to us ALL the time! From the most mundane things like giving up your seat on the train to an elderly person to the big stuff like career decisions. As humans, we naturally tend to speak more than we listen and this applies in our relationships with God too, but I've learnt that we have to be intentional about listening to Him and seeking after Him. Indeed the scripture says that He rewards those who seek him diligently. The relationship is definitely an ongoing process but the beautiful thing is that the more time you spend with God and in His word, the more clearly you hear His voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment